Any penetration of ground requires a permit from the Dig Permit office. Penetration of the grounds includes, but is not limited to:

  • trenching,
  • excavating,
  • digging,
  • directional boring,
  • tree spades,
  • tent staking,
  • fence posts,
  • or sign installation (temporary or permanent).

The person, contractor, agency or organization that will be performing any ground penetrating activity is responsible for requesting and obtaining authorization and a permit from the Dig Permit Office prior to engaging in any ground penetrating activity.

Dig Permit Information

The purpose of the Dig Permit is to prevent injury to any individual performing ground penetrating activity as well as injury to students and University employees, avoid damage to University and non-University utilities, and to ensure uninterrupted utility service to our customers.

The University of Florida Dig Permit Procedures details the dig permit application process and site activity requirements.

Any questions about acquiring a Dig Permit, please call the Dig Permit office at (352) 392-5781. If there is no answer, please leave a message and your call will be returned.

Note: All Dig Permits have to be acquired 2-3 business days prior to the start of any work activity that penetrates the ground.

Note: Sunshine State One-Call requires you to call at least 48 hours prior to the start of any work.

Sunshine State One-Call

Sunshine State One-Call at 811 ( is a requirement for utility locates on our Dig Permit. Sunshine State One-Call requires you to call 48 hours prior to the start of any work. They will locate AT&T, Cox Cable and GRU gas. Personnel at the Dig Permit office will locate all other UF utilities.

Documents and Forms

Erecting Tents

If you are planning on erecting a tent for an event on campus, you must obtain an approval for tent location from the Office of Student Activities (if student organization) or the Office of the Vice President for Business Affairs (if a University Department).

Please refer to the Temporary Building Permit Information and Application available from EH&S.

After proper approval and permits have been acquired, you will need to apply for a Dig Permit (if the stakes penetrate the ground) and proof of the Temporary Building Permit must be supplied.

If further information is needed, please contact the Dig Permit Office at (352) 392-5781.

Contact the Dig Permit Office

Dig Permit OfficeUtilities and Energy ServicesFacilities Services902 Magnolia Drive, Building 702Room 130 GGainesville, Fl 32611-7700Phone: (352) 392-5781