Tigert Hall Tigert Hall Administration Building

 

Completed in 1951, Tigert Hall launched a new era in campus architecture that was both progressive and compatible with its Collegiate Gothic context. An administrative tower and wings had been a part of the original design of the University Auditorium, but financial constraints set that project aside. In response to the enrollment explosion after World War II, a new seat for the university’s administration was urgent. The Jacksonville firm of Kemp, Bunch, and Jackson was selected to complete the project in association with University Architect Guy Fulton and his assistant Jefferson M. Hamilton. The reinterpreted Collegiate Gothic integrated traditional brick and tile with simplified cast trim in the comparatively massive reinforced concrete structure. The University Seal in the bold grid tower entrance and the plaques representing the University’s colleges identify Tigert Hall as the seat of the University Administration. Planned under the administration of University President John James Tigert, the building commemorates him in its name.


Highlights of Tigert Hall

Character Defining Features

 

  • SCALE camera
  •           3-1/2 stories

  • MASSING camera
  •           Rectangular with projecting end blocks with cross gables

  • ROOF
  •           Gable

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •           Adjacent to projecting end blocks on long facades

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           9 over 9 light

              Single hung

              Aluminum

  • MATERIALS camera
  •           Brick is English Bond

              Flat light red clay tile with "bumps" ridge tile

  • ORNAMENTATION camera
  •           Cast stone window surrounds on 4 sides

              Cast stone spandrels and vertical fins between windows

              Plaques of quatrefoils around balcony and bay windows

              Plaques of each college in the university in 1950

  • INTERIOR FEATURES camera
  •           Terrazzo floors and marble benches and wainscot in corridors

  • BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
  •           Faces 13th Street at compus edge

              Mass forms defining edge of a large retangular open space to west


     

    Tigert Hall UF Seal

     


    Architect:  Kemp, Bunch, and Jackson; Jefferson Hamilton;
    Supervising Architect:  Guy Fulton, 1951

    Contractor:  C. A. Fielland Co., Inc.

    Building Name:  Originally, Administration Building, renamed for University President John James Tigert in 1960


     

    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home

     


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links

     

     

     





     

     

     


    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links

     

     

     








     

     

     


    State and National Preservation Links