Smathers Libary East Early Photo Smathers East:  Library

 

The University Library, completed in 1926, represented commitment to the scholarly materials which are the foundation of a university. Along with the Auditorium, the Library represents the zenith of the work of University Architect from 1905-1925, William Augustus Edwards. The compatibility of later additions is evident in the Southwest entry to the wing designed by Architect Rudolph Weaver. The present entry foyer was designed by Guy Fulton, who took the reins as third University Architect in 1944, and continues the tradition of compatible evolution. The original reading room now houses University and Florida archives, as well as the 1954 mural “The History of Learning in Florida” by University art professor Hollis Holbrook. The entrance to the library on the West side is noted by a small courtyard and historic Italian marble well head.


Character Defining Featurs

 

  • SCALE camera
  •           2-1/2 and 3-1/2 stories

  • MASSING camera
  •           L shape plan

              Cross gable bays every 4th by on north facade

              Buttresses

  • ROOF
  •           Gables adn cross gables

              Shed dormers

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •          Rectangle at ends on long side and in the L

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           Wood

              4 over 4 ligh double hung, paired

              3rd floor pointed arches over windows

  • MATERIALS camera
  •           Brick is Common Cross Bond

              6th course Flemish header

              Flat arch soldier above windows

              Flat clay tile, variegated colors (ochre, reds, olive greens) with "bump" ridge tiles

  • ORNAMENTATION camera
  •           Cast stone sills

              Water table above first floor

              Around Entrances

  • INTERIOR FEATURES camera
  •           Reading Room

  • BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
  •           Defines Northeast corner of the Plaza space

              Defines open space with Anderson Hall to North


     

    Smathers Library East

     


    Architect:  William Augustus Edwards, 1926; Rudolph Weaver; Guy Fulton, 1948

    Contractor:  Jack Culpepper

    Building Name:  University Library until 1967; Library East 1967-1991; George A. Smathers in 1991


     

    Smathers Library West

     

    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home

     


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links

     

     

     





     

     

     


    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links

     

     

     








     

     

     


    State and National Preservation Links