Matherly Hall Matherly Hall

 

Matherly Hall exemplifies the continuity and innovation of the post-World War II modified Collegiate Gothic of the UF campus with clay tile gabled roof, brick with cast linear detail, crenulated parapet, and a modified tower entrance headed with a Moderne ornamental plaque depicting the College of Business Administration. New directions of the post-war campus are reflected in the functional provision for ventilation and light by the expansive window fenestration and the more massive building.


Highlights of Matherly Hall

Character Defining Features

 

  • SCALE camera
  •           2-1/2 stories

  • MASSING camera
  •           Rectangular

  • ROOF
  •           Gable

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •           End of long face of rectangular mass

              In projecting entrance tower

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           Casement sash 12 over 6 lights

              Groupings of four

  • MATERIALS
  •           Brick is Common Bond

  • ORNAMENTATION camera
  •           Pre-cast coping

              Flat band water table

              Pre-cast continuous lintel

              Vertical bands between windows

              Art Deco influence on plaque in entrance tower

  • INTERIOR FEATURES
  • BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
  •           Faces University Avenue at Northeast edge of campus

              Large open space on North and South sides

              Small spaces formed between adjacent buildings at East and West


     

    Matherly Hall

     


    Architect:  Jefferson Hamilton; Supervising Architect:  Guy Fulton, 1953

    Contractor:  Jack Culpepper

    Building Name:  Walter Jeffries Matherly, Dean of Business Administration from 1926-1954


     

    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home

     


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links

     

     

     





     

     

     


    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links

     

     

     








     

     

     


    State and National Preservation Links