Fletcher Hall Fletcher Hall

 

Fletcher Hall was built in 1939, late in the Great Depression that followed the Stock Market crash of 1929. Its construction was supported primarily with federal funds to address the campus housing shortage and to provide work when unemployment was an ongoing problem. University Architect Rudolph Weaver designed the building in harmony with the adjacent original buildings Buckman and Thomas and to Sledd Hall, which it continued to the North. Weaver's design also reflected an increase in Collegiate Gothic details. A dominant tower entrance facing University Avenue incorporated an oriel window. Plaques with seals of many of the world's great universities continued a theme developed in Sledd Hall. A reading room is enhanced with Collegiate Gothic features in its mantel piece and paneling, as well as relief sculptures defining its bay window onto the dormitory courtyard. First caledl North Hall, the building was named for U.S. Senator Duncan U. Fletcher, a supporter of the University of Florida.


Character Defining Features

 

  • SCALE
  •           3-1/2 stories

  • MASSING
  •           Series of rectangular bars connecting to other buildings that define exterior court and entrance court

  • ROOF
  •           Gable

              Shed dormers

              Cross gable bays

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •           Individual entrances facing courtyard

              Classical pediments above doorways

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           6 over 6 lights

              Double Hung, paired

  • MATERIALS camera
  •           Brick is English Cross Bond

              Clay roof tiles, light red flat tile

  • ORNAMENTATION camera
  •           Plaques in balcony at tope of angled bays, decorative seals

              Cast stone lintels, sills

              Water table half round with bulging torus

  • INTERIOR FEATURES camera
  •           Reading Room

  • BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
  •           Several wings define a rectangular courtyard with other buildings

              The proportion of clear space in the courtyards between the buildings is at least twice the ground to parapet height

              Pedestrian passages through the building mass on ground floor


     

    Fletcher Hall

     

    Architect:  Rudolph Weaver

    Contractor:  Chalker & Lund Co.

    Building Name:  Duncan U. Fletcher, U.S. Senator from Florida, 1908-1936

     

    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home

     


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links

     

     

     





     

     

     


    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links

     

     

     








     

     

     


    State and National Preservation Links