Bryan Hall Early Photo Bryan Hall

 

Designed as the College of Law in 1914 by the first University Architect William Edwards, Bryan Hall is now part of the Warrington College of Business Administration. A tower defines the building entrances and wing intersection; the Tudor arched entries are headed by terra cotta reliefs inscribed "Lex" with scales of justice at the East entry and "College of Law" at the West. The primary interior space was the second floor courtroom, detailed with a paneled judge’s bench. Rudolph Weaver, University Architect 1925-1944 designed a library addition that forms the Northwest corner. Guy Fulton, University Architect 1944-1956 designed the East wing that is both compatible and a statement of its own time. The post-World War II construction references the original entry tower and its terra cotta reliefs with a gable entrance and cast-stone reliefs in Moderne detail. This concept of compatibility continues with the adjacent Gerson Hall School of Accounting, completed in 2004.


Character Defining Features

 

  • SCALE camera
  •           2-1/2 Stories

  • MASSING camera
  •           L-shaped plan defines exterior space

              Tower forms

  • ROOF camera
  •           Gable Roof

               Cross Gables

               Shed Dormers

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •           Cast stone ornament at door surrounds

              Shallow arch topped doorway

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           Aluminum replacement sash in original paired and single openings

              9 over 9 light

              Double hung

              Shallow arch topped three part windows

  • MATERIALS camera
  •           Brick is Common bond

              6th course headers, soldier course headers

              Light red clay French tile roofs

              Ornamental carved rafter ends

  • ORNAMENTATION camera
  •           Cast stone sills and lintels

              Ornament design reflects three periods of construction

  • INTERIOR FEATURES camera
  •           Three story library space

  • BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
  •           Prominent location at the Northeast gateway to campus

              Wings of the building define an open space


     

    Bryan Hall

     

    Architect:  William Edwards 1914; library addition by Rudolph Weaver 1939; East wing and dean’s office by Guy Fulton 1949-50

    Building Name:  U.S. Senator Nathan Bryan, first chair of the State Board of Control for Florida Universities

     

    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home

     


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links

     

     

     





     

     

     


    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links

     

     

     








     

     

     


    State and National Preservation Links