University Police Department University Police Department

 

WRUF, chartered in the 1920’s as the “Voice of the University of Florida,” was one of the country’s most powerful college radio stations. Famed sportscaster Red Barber began his career by broadcasting UF sports events for this station. The Tudor Revival studio was a variation from the brick Collegiate Gothic that remains in harmony with the campus and appropriate to the small scale of the building. In the 1950’s WRUF moved to new quarters, and the building has since then been the headquarters of the University Police Department.


Character Defining Features

 

  • SCALE camera
  •           1-1/2 stories

  • MASSING camera
  •           Retangular with projecting cross gable at front

  • ROOF
  •           Asphalt shingles

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •          Asymmetrical placement under porches

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           9 over 9 light

              Double hung

              Wood

  • MATERIALS camera
  •           Brick is Common Bond

              Mixed color range of light orange, red and flashed bricks

              Round arch rowlocks and soldier course above doors

              Stucco and wood "half timbering"

  • ORNAMENTATION
  •           Tudor Revival features

              Steeply sloped cross gables

              Half timbering

              Decorative brick work in gable end

              Timber trim at porches

  • INTERIOR FEATURES
  • BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
  •           Building set off to the side of Museum Road and in a low area

              Was former campus radio station


     

    University Police Department

     


    Architect:  Rudolph Weaver

    Building Name:  WRUF Radio Station, until 1957


     

    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home

     


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links

     

     

     





     

     

     


    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links

     

     

     








     

     

     


    State and National Preservation Links